Study in Canada | Universities in Canada | Study Abroad
Study in Canada
Canada. A country中国体彩发布的官方app with rich multi-cultural heritage, superb education system, pragmatic pedagogy, and lucrative career opportunities are quite a hit among Indian students planning to study abroad. Vouched by the United Nations the citizens quality of life, and ranked as one of the leading places to live, Canada is undoubtedly climbing the charts to the world’s top international education destinations.
Blessed by an abundance of nature’s resources ranging from thick green vegetation cover, to massive mountains, to icy peaks and glaciers, Canada is full of scenic wonders.
Canada, with a larger pool of aging population, welcomes the younger generation-both students and working classes with open arms. Thus, the swift immigration process is an added bonus for Indian students planning to study abroad in Canada! Canada is the only country中国体彩发布的官方app (along with Australia) that has two cities in the "top 10 student-friendly cities 2016" by QS ranking: Top 10 Cities in the World to be a Student!
Quick points to note before applying for study abroad in Canada
Major Cities to Study in Canada
Time Zone - Canada has 6 time zones (India is 9 Hours 30 Mins ahead of Canada)
- Newfoundland Time
- Atlantic Time
- Eastern Time
- Central, Mountain
- Pacific Time Zone (East to West)
Currency - Canadian Dollar ($, CAD)
Language Spoken: English, French (territorial)
Study in Canada for Indian Students
Canada offers a direct path to permanent citizenship. This has made it a popular hub for studying abroad, especially for Indian students. Further, Canada is cost-effective alternative to the U.S. In terms of economy and technology, Canada closely resembles her neighbor, the United States of America. However, Canadians embrace their British heritage, and its environment has a great influence from Britain and France.
This dual nature of Canada is enjoyed most by students opting to study abroad in Canada.
In 2017, there were more than 100,000 Indian students studying in Canada! The Canadian government has invested in several initiatives to attract international students and has implemented a student-friendly visa process. Further, with some changes in the U.S.’s immigration policies post-Trump administration, study in Canada for Indian students is gaining more prominence.
Here are 5 key benefits of studying abroad in Canada:
- Practical Teaching Pedagogy
- Financial Aid and Scholarships for Qualified Students
- Student Direct Stream Visa for Indian students
- Flexibility to Work Part Time-Both On-and-Off Campus
Technologically Driven Country
Still wondering Why Choose to Study in Canada? Read to find out!
Canada Education System
The Canadian education system is generally divided into 3 levels-
Canada is renowned for being one of the most educated countries in the world. Dominant percentage of the population holds at least a high school certificate, and a significant number opt for a post-secondary level of education.
The Canadian government offers are subsidies towards the sector, right from Kindergarten to post-secondary education. Almost six percent of the country中国体彩发布的官方app’s GDP is spent on education on an average. Thus, education standards in the country中国体彩发布的官方app have been consistently high.
The higher education system in Canada is quite similar to the American system, with some influence from Britain.
Primarily, there are three kinds of institutes:
- Public Universities: These are run by the federal or provincial governments, and are basically funded by them, apart from accepting tuition fees from students.
- Private Universities: Canada has a multitude of private universities funded by tuition fees, faculty research grants, and alumni donations.
- Liberal Arts Institutions: These are colleges who primarily focus on undergraduate study in the field of liberal arts. They aim at the development of general intellectual capacities instead of vocational, technical or professional studies. They may be public or private.
Take a look at some of the top universities in Canada to study at!
Type of Courses in Canada
Canadian universities accept intake across their universities thrice each year: fall, summer, and winter.
Fall intake - September to December
Winter intake - January to April
Summer intake - May to August
Typically, students planning to apply to study abroad in Canadian universities are expected to apply 6 to 9 months before sessions begin.
The types of different courses offered in Canada are:
- Diploma or Certificate - 1-2 years’ duration
- Advanced Diploma - 2-3 years’ duration
- Undergraduate - 3-4 years’ duration
- Postgraduate- 2 years’ duration
- Ph.D.- 4-5 years with dissertation
Top Courses to Pursue in Canada
Universities in Canada offer a wide range of courses to choose from. A number of international students opt for studying their Masters in Canada. Top universities in Canada are known to offer competitive courses in several streams.
Universities in Canada boast of holding over 5000 worldwide. The top courses in Canada are highly industry-oriented. For your benefit, here is a list of top courses to pursue in Canada!
Top post-graduate streams in Canada:
- Masters in Marketing
- Masters of Science in Computer Science
- Masters in Pharmacy
- Masters in International Management
- Masters in Engineering
- Masters in Telecommunications Management
- Masters in Data Science
- Masters in Corporate Management
- Masters in Financial Engineering
Here are the other postgraduate courses offered in Canada!
Top under-graduate streams in Canada:
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Bachelors in Engineering
- Bachelors of Business Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Communication
See other leading under-graduate courses in Canada and their eligibility criteria!
Cost of Studying in Canada
Compared to post-Trump abroad destinations, the cost of studying in Canada is lower. While the college tuition fees vary from institution to institution, students roughly spend 10,000 to 40,000 Canadian Dollars on studies. It is important to consider other aspects such as student scholarships in Canada that could be of benefit to international students. Check out scholarship essay samples that could help you with your potential application process to scholarships in Canadian universities.
Further, with the option of working while studying, you can help pay for your own tuition! You can find out more about work permits in Canada that can aid you with the same.
Exams to Study Abroad in Canada
The exams to study in Canada, such as qualifying tests, eligibility tests, and applications vary from university to university. Canadian universities offer courses in English, which require an English proficiency test such as TOEFL or IELTS. Depending on the course requirements, a student may need to have taken exams such as GMAT, MCAT, and GRE.
You can find out other exam requirements to study in Canada by browsing through a Country-wise, Entrance Exam guide.
Some universities in Canada also offer courses in French (Quebec), which might require additional qualifications in the same. You can find more regarding provinces of Canada that might help you make an informed decision about studying abroad in Canada.
Application Process to Study in Canada
The applications process to study in Canada has become relatively easier with underlying support from the federal government in the form of simplified processes. Here are some of the options in the application process to study in Canada:
- With Study Permit
- Without Study (for Short-term Courses)
It is imperative to start your application process roughly 18 months before application deadlines. As leading universities in Canada are quite competitive, it is advised that you meet the application deadlines. It is also important to avoid making errors in university applications!
Canada Student Visa (Brief)
While the process to get a Canada student visa is not very complicated, here are some pointers to keep in mind:
- You DO NOT need a Canadian study permit if:
- You are a staff member or family of a foreign representative in Canada
- You study programme is of less than six months in duration (short-term)
- You have an Indian status in Canada but are a citizen of another country中国体彩发布的官方app
- You are a foreign armed forces member
- If you do not fall under the above-mentioned categories, you may apply for a student permit. For this you require:
- Filled student permit application
- Proof of study permit fee
- University’s letter of acceptance
- Valid passport
- Proof of financial support
- A letter f explanation
- Recent passport-sized photographs specifying the name and birth date on the back
We have covered the process for a visa for study in Canada that you will find helpful in getting your application on track!
We think you are almost ready for taking your Canada dreams further! Here is some other interesting reading material to help you study abroad in Canada:
Hope this helps, and happy studying abroad in Canada!