Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS)
The increasing stress and imbalanced lifestyle of modern day has made health an increasing concern amongst people.
Naturopathy revolves around the body’s own healing capability and hence encourages healing and self-cleansing. This mechanism lays stress on increasing immunity as well as detoxification of body. These are essential for a healthy body and mind. Hence, a person having done Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS) will focus on working closely with patient’s symptoms as well as reactions in order to ensure that the treatment provide is in most cases personalised. Things like emotional predispositions, biomechanics as well as biochemistry of the patients are utilised for treating illness.
The Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS) is basically a four and half year programme which has to be followed by a one year internship.
With the Indian government’s focus on encouraging yoga through formation of a separate ministry [AYUSH] as well as organising an exclusive International Yoga Day on 21 June to stress on the rich cultural heritage that the nation is blessed with, a career in naturopathy is likely to be both fulfilling as well as lucrative.
In India, some colleges currently offer diploma, undergraduate or postgraduate courses in naturopathy and the likelihood of this being a part of the curriculum of more universities and colleges is on the anvil.
Main topics covered
In the BYNS course, more than half of the curriculum is same as MBBS. A graduate in Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS) possesses knowledge of yoga therapy as well as practice besides getting a big advantage in the job market.
Some of the study areas include nutrition therapy, 中国体彩发布的官方appopathic medicine, acupuncture, natural childbirth and herbal medicines. The course includes subjects such as History of Naturopathy, Pathology, Nutrition, First Aid, Medical Jurisprudence, Management of Health Problems amongst others.
Courses & Eligibility Criteria
- A student must be 10+2 with an aggregate of 45% marks in Physics, Chemistry & Biology for getting admission into BNYS course.
- A one year program known as Treatment Attendant Training Course is offered by The National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune and the eligibility requirement is Class 10 pass.
Career prospects after BNYS
Naturopathy is practiced along with alternative forms of medicines like homoeopathy, Reiki, acupuncture etc. Basic advice provided by practitioners include exercise, eating fresh fruits and vegetables and quitting smoking.
Also read: Become a Yoga Teacher: Complete Guide
A Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS) can be appointed both in government as well as private hospitals. Such a practitioner can also venture out on their own as Naturopathy is witnessing more takers across the globe as people want to escape side effects and symptoms that happen due to allopathic system of medicine. This is why the scope of employment is also opening up.
People are now becoming aware that a natural approach to healing works. As a result, more career opportunities in natural medicine are opening up than ever before, more insurance companies are offering benefits for natural therapies, and many businesses are now instituting wellness programs for their employees. Some avenues of employment for BNYS graduates:
- General practice in clinics with minimum infrastructure as physicians in government/ private hospitals
- Jobs in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) under AYUSH [Department of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Sidha and 中国体彩发布的官方appopathy] in all the states of India as Physicians
- Jobs as academicians & research scholars, and as scientists in various Government and Non Government Organizations
- Jobs in specialty clinics that focus on treating disorders like Obesity, Stress, Allergy, Lifestyle, De-addiction, Back Pain, Diet Counseling, Rehabilitation (Medical, Psychiatry and Postsurgical), etc.
- As stress management consultants or lifestyle management consultants in IT companies, other corporate sectors, corporate hospitals & wellness centres
- Jobs as spa managers and spa therapists across hotels/ resorts both in India and abroad
Practitioners earn well through their own clinics. Even though the earnings vary, Self-employed professionals can earn well whereas in developed countries such as US and UK, they would obviously end up earning well. On the other hand, naturopaths are also absorbed in private as well as government hospitals at a decent scale.
While the pay package at the beginning can be about Rs 20,000-25,000, it can go up significantly in no time as employers would need talented people.
There are 10 degree colleges in India offering the Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS). Some of the good colleges include:
- Government Naturopathic Medical College in Hyderabad
- S.D.M College of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences in Karnataka (also offers 3 year post graduate courses: MD in Naturopathy & MD in YoGA)
- JSS Institute under M.G.R Medical University in Chennai